Pros and Cons of
Living in a wonderful place like Saint Louis County comes with a lot of perks, but it also comes with a hefty price tag – real estate taxes. Depending on where you live in the county, you can pay anywhere from a few hundred to a few thousand dollars in Saint Louis County real estate taxes.
In this article, we will explore the pros and cons of real estate taxes in Saint Louis County, to help you make an informed decision about where to live.
- Financial Support: Paying real estate taxes is a way of contributing financially to the county budget. The money raised through real estate taxes helps fund important programs and services the county offers, such as public schools, public transportation, police protection, fire protection, and more.
- Economic Changes: Real estate taxes also play an important role in supporting economic development in the county. By encouraging investment in new construction and renovations of existing homes, real estate taxes can help attract new businesses and industry to the area, which in turn can lead to increased jobs and increased economic activity.
- Real Estate Value: Real estate taxes can encourage homeowners to invest in the upkeep of their properties, which can increase the value of their homes. Over time, this can lead to a higher overall property value for the county.
- High Prices: Depending on where you live in the county, Saint Louis County’s real estate tax can be on the high side. In some cases, it can add hundreds or even thousands of dollars to your annual housing costs.
- Unfair Burden: Saint Louis County’s real estate tax can place an undue burden on some residents. For example, fixed-income elderly citizens who’ve owned their homes for decades can face a financial burden they may not be able to afford.
- Lack of Clarity: There isn’t always a clear explanation of where your real estate taxes are going, or an explanation of how they are calculated. This can make it difficult to understand the true cost of living in Saint Louis County.
Living in Saint Louis County comes with many perks, but it also comes with real estate taxes. While these taxes can provide financial benefits, they can also be a burden for some residents. Weighing the pros and cons of Saint Louis County’s real estate taxes can help you decide whether or not it’s the right place for you to call home.